Gaming Keyboard is an essential part of your Gaming rig. Earlier, the gaming keyboards were designed using a membrane. The mechanical keyboard is the new rage among gamers and it is a step forward in technology. The mechanical gaming keyboards are performance-oriented, versatile, and durable enough to last for years to come. Such keyboards are dominating their counterparts in the market and a lot of options are up for grabs whether you are a gamer or need a keyboard for productivity.
Mechanical Keyboards have switches under the keycaps which means that these keyboards are less prone to errors and offer you a smooth experience. Apart from that, Mechanical Keyboards are quite a response and comfortable to use. Once you start using these keyboards, you will figure out the noticeable difference between these two.
Check out our top 10 Gaming Keyboard Recommendations:
- Best Gaming Keyboard under $50
- Best Wireless Mechanical Gaming Keyboards
- Best White Gaming Keyboards
- Best Silent Gaming Keyboards
Best Mechanical Switches For Gaming Keyboard
Check out the list of the best Mechanical Switches for gaming Keyboard. These gaming keyboards will totally tweak your experience while gaming or typing.
1. Cherry MX
Cherry MX Mechanical Switches was first released in 1983 and since then, Cherry MX has been popular among gamers. These switches come in distinct colors highlighting their characteristics. Cherry MX is known to offer versatility and delivers an amazing experience to users. You will find Cherry MX Switches in HyperX, Coolermaster, Redragon, Gaming keyboard, Corsair. Razer & Logitech comes with their own switches that are mentioned below.
Here are Cherry MX Switches:
- Cherry MX Red – Cherry MX Reds require an actuation force of 45g and these switches are most popular among gamers for plenty of reasons. In fact, these mechanical switches are also ideal for typing work since the keys are quiet and responsive. These switches can endure the keystrokes 50 million times with ease.
- Cherry MX Black – Cherry MX Black features Linear behavior which means that the keystroke is quite consistent, responsive, and smooth. The actuation force of this type of switch is 60 g and they are a bit heavy and more resistant than Cherry MX Red. The keys are quiet and for that reason, it is ideal for fast-paced gaming.
- Cherry MX Brown – This type of Mechanical switch from the family of Cherry MX is ideal for both gaming and typing. The resistance is medium and you need an actuation force of 45g. These are highly responsive and perform their job quietly.
- Cherry MX Blue – The major highlight of this type of Mechanical Switch is that they produce sound and are clicky. You will hear the sound every time you register a keystroke. Cherry MX Blue switches are rated for 50 million clicks and require an actuation force of 60g. They are the loudest in the family of Cherry MX Switches. So, for those who feel comfortable with the sound can try this.
- Cherry MX Silver or Speed – For high-end gamers, Cherry MX Silver will offer you a competitive advantage over your rivals. They have an actuation point of 1.2mm. Along with that, they need an actuation force of 45g and are perfect for MOBA, and MOMA gaming genres.
Razer is one of those brands that come into mind when you are looking for gaming peripherals. Whether it is a gaming keyboard, gaming mouse, or even gaming headset, Razer always strikes in mind. The household name has partnered with Kaihua to build its in-house mechanical switches since 2014. Razer’s own mechanical switches can be compared with Cherry MX Mechanical Switches knowing that they are durable, responsive, and comfortable. As of now, there are four major variants of Razer’s Mechanical Switches:
- Razer Green Switches – Razer Green Switches are ideal for typing. The keys are clicky just like Cherry MX Blue and it requires an actuation force of 55 g. The total distance traveled is 4mm. These switches are durable and are rated for 80 million keystrokes.
- Razer Orange Switches – Razer Orange Switches performs quietly without producing any sort of noise which makes it ideal for typing and gaming. These switches require medium resistance and an actuation force of 45g. Like Razer Green Switches, they have the lifespan of 80 million keystrokes.
- Razer Yellow-Switches – Razer Yellow Switches aim to target the gamers who hit the keys repeatedly and with heavy force. Razer Yellow Switches are Linear in nature and need 45g of actuation force.
- Razer Optical Switches – Razer brought the brand new tech in the Gaming Keyboards with their Optical Switches. While other Keyboard switches, like Cherry MX, Logitech Romer-G, use mechanical hardware for registering a keystroke, Razer Optical Switches uses Lazer beam to register a keystroke. These switches are precise, ridiculously fast, and non-wobbly. They have an actuation distance of 1.2mm and require an actuation force of 45gm.
Logitech also crafted its own Mechanical Switches when it teamed up with Omron, a Japanese company. Logitech named its mechanical Switches “Romer-G”. These mechanical switches overcame the major mistakes in the mechanical switches’ dominating at that time. Romer-G Mechanical Switches were designed for gamers specifically. In terms of comparison, Romer-G almost feels like Cherry MX Brown but the major difference is that Logitech’s Romer-G bounces back for earlier for another keystroke.
Logitech Romer- G Mechanical Switches are rated for 70 million clicks and the actuation point is 25 percent less than the standard and is placed at 1.5 mm instead of 2 mm. The keys offer a tactile experience and a keyboard with Romer-G Mechanical Switches are ideal for high-intensive gaming sessions where you have to hit keys repeatedly.
Other than Romer-G Switches, Logitech also has a premium range of other low profile mechanical switches which are better than Romer-G switches in a lot of manners.
- GL TACTILE Brown– If you are someone who is into FPS & competitive gaming and likes to have quick feedback of every keystroke, Logitech GL Tactile Switches are for you. With an actuation distance of 1.5mm and an actuation force of 50g, these switches are adored by a lot of professionals.
- GL LINEAR Red– This is another variant of Logitech Switches called GL Linear, which is good for those who are into excessive double tapping and successive keystrokes. GL Linear function for that purpose. For MMO and action gamers, GL Liner is for you. With Actuation Distance of 1.5mm and force of 50g, this is good for those who want double-tapping in their working and want smooth feedback on keystrokes.
- GL Clicky White– As a name suggests, you get tactile feedback along with the tactile sound feedback on GL Clicky. They also have the same Actuation distance & force as of GL Linear & GL Tactile. If you want clicky feedback with tactile sound on your gaming keyboard, GL Clicky is a way to go.
4. Roccat Titan
Roccat has been developing a gaming keyboard for a while now. However, it has started to incorporate its own Mechanical Switches named “Roccat Titan”. Roccat’s Mechanical Switches “Roccat Titan” offers a tactile experience and the keystrokes don’t produce any sort of noise. However, the keys need a medium to heavy resistance along with an actuation force of 50g. The keys are highly responsive which is why this type of mechanical switch is perfect for gaming and typing.
Best Mechanical Switches for Gaming Keyboard: Final Words
Knowing what type of experience you want – Liner, Tactical, or Clicky and whether you want keys to produce noise or work silent will narrow down your choices. Apart from that, it is a good idea to know your purpose of buying a mechanical keyboard whether it is for gaming purposes or for typing work. If you want Gaming Keyboard specifically for Gaming, make sure it has gaming aesthetics. To add more appeal to your gaming desk, make sure you check the best gaming monitors which are built for fast-paced gaming.
Mechanical keyboards are priced absurdly which is why it is always a good idea to go for a replaced gaming keyboard. Manufacturers tend to roll out a new gadget every once in a while. Well, if you particularly ask about the best mechanical switches, there is a reason that Cherry MX has garnered traction among gamers. Cherry MX is one of the best Mechanical Switches you can consider if you are planning to buy a gaming keyboard but if you want something very precise and quick, Razer Optical Switches are unbeatable. They use Lazer beam to register the signal and it can’t get wrong or late.
For the fans of Logitech, GL Low Profile buttons, GL Tactile, Clicky, Linear are really great switches and you can get them as per your preferences.