When it comes to performance, Windows 10 offers buttery-smooth performance, supporting Xbox Streaming, native and retro gaming titles as well. Also, Windows 10 comes with a dedicated gaming mode that allows gamers to enhance their performance.
According to a report by DFC Intelligence, 48% of all gamers use PCs for gaming. Here is the breakdown of the report by IGN. A Windows PC is the most flexible OS that allows gamers to play, optimize games in the best manner. No wonder why Windows 10 has become gamers’ favorite operating system to play games. Microsoft has been rolling out frequent updates to ensure that gamers experience a smooth, and upgrade their gaming skills.
Well, to boost the performance of your Windows 10, the gamers will have to make a few tweaks to their PC to reap the benefits of Windows 10. The games will run faster, and tear-free when you know how to optimize windows 10 for gaming.
- 1 How To Optimize Windows 10 For Gaming?
- 1.1 1. Enable Windows 10 Game Mode
- 1.2 2. Modify The Display Settings For Better Performance
- 1.3 3. Improve the settings of your mouse to squeeze the best performance
- 1.4 4. Keep Your GPU Drivers Updated
- 1.5 5. Keep the DirectX Version Updated (Latest Version 12)
- 1.6 6. Disable Automatic Windows 10 Updates
- 1.7 7. Turn Off Automatic Steam Updates
- 2 Best Windows 10 Settings for Gaming: Conclusion
How To Optimize Windows 10 For Gaming?
To squeeze the best performance out of Windows 10, there are multiple ways to optimize Windows 10 for gaming. Read on to find which settings you will need to disable and what updates you need to make with our quick and easy guide to optimizing windows 10.
1. Enable Windows 10 Game Mode
The recent update rolled out by Microsoft features a dedicated game mode that intends to improve the gaming experience of users. The game mode prevents Windows updates while you are playing your games. To enable Windows 10 Game mode, users need to follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I. The setting will be opened.
- Scroll down and you will find the “Gaming”.
- Select “Gaming”. A New display page will appear on the screen.
- On the left side, you will find “Game Mode”.
- Select Game Mode, and turn it on.
This is one of the many ways that you can follow to improve your gaming experience if you are playing games on windows 10. Well, if these settings are not installed in your Windows 10, it means you have not updated your PC.
2. Modify The Display Settings For Better Performance
Windows 10 features a range of visual effects in Graphical User Interface that can hinder the processing power of Windows 10. These visual effects are automatically turned on which can impact the gaming performance if you are playing games on your system. So, to get the best performance from Windows 10, you will need to make amendments to these settings. Here’s how you can do it.
- Press Windows + I. Pressing these keys together will open the setting.
- In the search option, enter ‘Performance’.
- Select Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
- Select the Visual Effects, followed by Adjust for best performance.
- Click on Apply to implement the changes.
3. Improve the settings of your mouse to squeeze the best performance
Another way to optimize Windows 10 for gaming is to improve the settings of your mouse. Chances are that your mouse settings might be impacting your games which is why you will have to adjust the settings of the mouse to get the best results. Disabling the pointer precision can help to enhance your gaming experience.
- Open Settings.
- Click on Devices.
- On the left side, you will find “Mouse”.
- Click on the Pointer Options Tab.
- Turn off the Enhance Pointer Precision setting.
- Click on Apply to implement changes.
4. Keep Your GPU Drivers Updated
The GPU can impact your gaming experience which is why you need to regularly update the GPU Drivers. On the other hand, an old, and outdated driver may lead to glitches, bugs and can even crash your system. With an updated GPU Drivers, the graphic card will be benefitted. No matter which GPU you used, updating GPU drivers is always recommended. If you don’t have GPU yet and looking to get one, here is a brief comparison of Nvidia G-Sync & AMD FreeSync.
To update GPU Drivers, you can either visit the manufacturers’ website or simply update the drivers from the windows themselves. If you don’t know the spec of your GPU, follow these instructions:
- Right-Click on the Desktop.
- Go to Display Settings, followed by Advance settings.
- In the end, you will find Display Adaptor Properties.
So, keeping your GPU Drivers updated time and again will improve your gaming experience.
5. Keep the DirectX Version Updated (Latest Version 12)
Anyone who is serious about playing games on Windows 10 needs to have DirectX 12 installed on the system. Simply putting it up, DirectX is a software that is developed by Microsoft itself that supports better frame rates, improves graphical performance, and more. DirectX 12 is the upgraded version from its predecessor DirectX 11 and features a bunch of improvements as well.
You can download the latest DirectX 12 here.
6. Disable Automatic Windows 10 Updates
To optimize your Windows 10 for gaming, one thing that you can do is to disable automatic updates or schedule the updates for that time when your system is not in use. Windows 10 sends frequent notifications to update your devices and clicking on that accidentally can have you lose the progress you have made if you are already playing games.
7. Turn Off Automatic Steam Updates
If you are using Steam to download games, it is important for you to turn off the automatic updates. Updating Steam while gaming can be a tough job for your system. The memory allocation also gets affected by this. Turning Off Automatic Updates allows you to update the program while you are not playing games or manually. There is a bunch of other Steam settings that you can play with.
Best Windows 10 Settings for Gaming: Conclusion
Playing games on Windows PC is a pure delight thanks to the frequent updates that are launched by Microsoft, time and again. Apart from that, there are a bunch of in-built settings that you can modify to improve your gaming experience and optimize Windows 10 for gaming. Games are meant to deliver fun and with the help of these ways to optimize your windows, you won’t encounter any sort of difficulty instead it will take your gaming experience to another level.
For all those PC gamers, here are some of the best gaming monitors you can consider for your gaming rig: